Dirty Air Ducts? Here are the Possible Consequences
Try and think back to the last time that you had your home or business’s air ducts professionally cleaned.
If you’re having a hard time recalling when that was, it’s probably a good idea to schedule your next cleaning with an HVAC professional.
Dirty air ducts pose a significant risk not only to the efficiency of your HVAC system but also to the health of your family or colleagues at work.
How Can You Notice Dirty Air Ducts?
Dirty air ducts have some specific signs, including:
- Musty smelling air when the HVAC system is turned on or running
- Vents are noisy or are whistling loudly
- Your family or your peers at work are experiencing health-related irritations and symptoms like allergies or respiratory issues
- You’re noticing excess pet hair or dust mites coming from your vents
Health Concerns Surrounding Dirty Air Ducts
Along with creating an inefficient, energy-sucking HVAC system, a build-up of debris within your air ducts can pose health concerns such as:
- Respiratory Infections: If someone in your house or at your workspace are experiencing symptoms such as sneezing, a runny nose, a heavily congested chest, or coughing, they may be suffering from a respiratory infection. If this is the case, it may be dirty air ducts that are causing the problem.
- Asthma: Asthma symptoms can be triggered or worsened when individuals are exposed to dust mites, pollen, mold spores, and other airborne irritants that are emitted from your heating or cooling system. For cases like this, you’ll be able to tell if it’s your air ducts if the person only experiences these symptoms within your home or workplace.
- Sinus Infections: Similar to respiratory infections, sinus infections can be linked to dirty air ducts and the airborne irritants that they emit. Symptoms of a sinus infection may include sinus pressure behind cheeks or eyes, a runny or congested nose, excessive headaches, and fatigue. When you notice someone in your home or workplace struggling with these symptoms, immediately check your air ducts using the list of signs above.
Although these health concerns may seem never-ending, the solution may be as simple as having your air ducts cleaned by your local HVAC professional.